I originally published this post a couple of years ago… it is, of course, still very relevant this year. Each year I am amazed with the flurry of recruiting activity (mainly from those student-athletes wanting to get recruited) during the month of January. This really is something that student-athletes (and their families) should be taking care of beginning with their 9th and 10th grade years. Hopefully this information will find its way into some of those young student athletes hands … and heads!
Signing Day and Recruiting
National Signing Day is exciting.
- Exciting for the student-athletes (and their parents) that are beginning the next step of their athletic and academic career…
- Exciting for high school coaches that are proud to see the young men that they have helped mold, shape and develop get rewarded for their work….
- Exciting for the college coaches that have worked so hard over the last year (and longer) to put together their 2014 recruiting class… (and can now get off the road for a few weeks!)
For the seniors signing the NLI , today is the culmination of the recruiting process. For everyone else (athletes in grades 9-11) the process is either still ongoing, or just getting going.
When I checked my blog stats over the last couple of weeks, I noticed a huge spike with search terms regarding recruiting and that National Letter of Intent. People with questions like “Does signing the NLI mean I get a full scholarship?” and “How will the NLI be delivered?”. This tells me what I already know… the recruiting process can be a scary and confusing time for student-athletes and their parents.
For student-athletes and parents with questions, I have compiled some links and posts that might help understand the recruiting process. For high school coaches, steering your athletes and parents to these posts might help relieve some of the burden of explaining this complicated process. I also make the point… often and strongly… that a high school coach will not “get you (or anyone) a scholarship”… that it is ultimately up to them as a student-athlete.
You can click on the following links to navigate to these pages:
- All Recruiting Posts (Links to 30 posts)
- So You Want to Get Recruited
- Be Ready For Your Signing Day
- The National Letter of Intent
- Flipboard Magazine – Wanted and Rewarded ebook
- Flipboard Magazine – Recruiting Level of Interest Pyramid
The Flipbard Magazines have links my recruiting posts. There is a little overlap, as some of the “Pyramid” posts are also included in the Wanted and Rewarded ebook. They are optimized for viewing on an iPad, but can also be read on your computer.
In addition to these written posts, I have recently launched my YouTube Channel that deals specifically with the recruiting process. The channel can be found here : The YouCanDoMore YouTube Channel, and the complete playlist can be viewed here.
Questions or Comments are always welcomed… I will answer! Just shoot me an email or leave a comment.
Remember – You Can Do More… your brain is lying to you…. Don’t Believe It!
Jeff Floyd – firstname.lastname@example.org