You can have your own personal clinic every day.
Earlier this week an online call came from Lee Weber (CSIC and head football coach at Wamego High School, KS) asking coaches to send in their favorite drills so he can compile a “best of” Twitter #fbchat drill guide.
I have become a virtual colleague of coach Weber via Twitter and the various football coaching chats (see post #TXHSFBCHAT… the Fastest 60 Minutes on the Internet) that take place weekly online.
I immediately responded to his collaboration call, and in the process realized that, although I have written many posts regarding football drills, and detailed many of my favorites, they were spread over a time period of three years and nearly 400 posts… not the easiest navigation to find some good ball drills.
Here is a compilation of articles I have written about drills including philosophy, terminology and diagrams… hopefully a little easier for you to navigate.
- Here are some ideas to consider when examining your drill work… Running an Effective Drill
- This is one of my favorite defensive drills that I stole from Billy Miller when he was coaching at Oklahoma State University … String Out Tackle Drill
- This is one of my favorite off-season conditioning drills that we got from the Kansas City Chiefs… Pattern Run Drill
- This is one of my favorite conditioning tests… 40 Yard Dash Test
- This is a fun drill (also from Billy Miller and OSU) that turned into a staple for our defensive players… Fumble Score Drill
- This post is about the importance and concept of EDD’s (Every Day Drills) that I learned from Corey Batoon, Special Teams Coordinator and Safeties Coach at ‘Ole Miss … EDD’s – Every Day Drills
- And finally, a post about what the future of introducing and teaching your drills might look like… Flipping the Practice Field
Please consider sending one of your favorite drills to Coach Weber (email@example.com) for inclusion in his drill guide. As you can see from my drills, they were all learned from colleagues in our profession that were willing to share.
The coaching profession benefits when we collaborate.
Remember – You Can Do More… your brain is lying to you…. Don’t Believe It!
Jeff Floyd – firstname.lastname@example.org