All it takes is a quick look at FootballScoop.com to see that mastery of technology is no longer a “bonus” when looking for a job, but a requirement… especially, it seems, for entry level positions. I did a quick scan of posted positions today and these were just a few of the skills needed…
- Familiarity with Hudl software
- Knowledge of Visio
- Experience with PowerPoint or Keynote
- Knowledge of film breakdown
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of data input
- Proficient with Hudl software
- Expertise using Excel
- Computer and Hudl proficiency
- Familiarity with the Hudl Editing system
It wasn’t long ago a coach could tout proficiency in these skills as something that would set them apart from the next candidate…. now they are the expectations.
So how does that affect you and your career?
If you don’t have these skills, or they are out of your comfort zone (see Expanding Our Comfort Zone) the off-season is a great time to become stronger in these areas.
Also, and maybe more importantly, what are the next wave of technology skills that can once again set you apart from the crowd?
- Expert at Social Media and Online Marketing
- Experienced using Social Media to connect with student-athletes
- Proficiency using Socrative, Quizlet or other mobile testing apps
- Can edit and produce movies and films using iMovie
- Experience editing an interactive, mutli-media playbook
- Demonstrates expertise and experience using YouTube in marketing and promotion
- Has mastered the technology needed to utilize “flipped coaching” techniques
- Working knowledge of iBook Author
- Proficient with WordPress or other blogging software
- Has experience making screencasts for use in coaching and teaching
- Proficient with Smartboard technology
- Experience integrating Ipad or similar technology into practice and meetings
- Can integrate Hudl, iMovie and YouTube
Five years ago few would have thought any of the above were skills that coaches/ teachers needed to have. Can you be ahead of the curve for the next five years? Think of the related technologies that have not even been developed yet.
Clicking on any of the links above will take you to a post that will help you get started with that technology…. thanks to Coach Keith Grabowski for many of the links!
Remember – You Can Do More… your brain is lying to you…. Don’t Believe It!
Jeff Floyd – firstname.lastname@example.org